Thursday, May 5, 2011

Keenin's keychain

Apparently, Keenin unearthed a Father's Day present he had made for me last year.  For roughly eleven months now it has sat in some hidden corner of his Spider-Man backpack, only coming to light because we had to get him a new backpack and were thus forced to clean out the old to transfer everything to the new.

During the excavation process, amidst old homework assignments that do not appear to have ever been turned in, along with Cheetos crumbs and President Obama's birth certificate (we called the Donald immediately, knowing how much more important this find was than any other issue going on in our nation today) we came across a small, laminated cut-out of an "Aloha" shirt, with a picture of Keenin's mugshot across the front of it and a little chain attached to it.

As the title to this post explains, it was a keychain.  He had made it for me at school.

That's not the best part, though.  Keenin triumphantly handed me the long-lost present, to which I smiled and said, "Thank you."  He immediately prompted me to look at the back.  I turned it over.  There he had written a little note to me which says, "Love, Keenin, June 2010.  Wolverine says Aloha."

I about died laughing--the kid's got the most random imagination on the planet.  "I put Wolverine because I know you like him," was all Keenin said after I read it.  What kills me more is he spelled Wolverine, "Wolvering."  Didn't know the famous super hero was also a present-tense verb, did you?

Anyway, it killed me.  I also thought it was sweet that he didn't just make me a generic Father's Day gift, though.  He stopped to put enough thought into it to make it personal and try and make it something that he knew I like.

Thank you Keenin, and "Aloha" back at ya...bub.

2 comments:

  1. This post cracked me up..It also made me remember how when I used to get a new backpack I always found all the random homework assignments I never turned in too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And then there's the opposite of that, like when Steve Cox, who had actually saved all of his old homework assignments, decided to throw them all from the roof of Ventura High School on the last day of school.

    ReplyDelete